D O C . 4 5 5 T R A V E L D I A R Y 4 5 3
18. In afternoon, private lecture at Wassermanns’ home for regiment, without
panther cat. The latter “fuming” owing to neglect. In the evening, Hebrew Society.
Talk about the nature of Zionism and size of
19. Sunday. Excursion with W. to Lavajol. In the evening, at Zaslavski’s with
Robert [Koch]. Then reception by representation of Jewish associations in hotel.
Speeches by Mossinson and
20. Last scientific lecture to the raptures of the
21. In the morning, very tasteless reception at the Jewish hospital. I told those
people off. Noon, breakfast hosted by more closely acquainted colleagues in the
Evening dedication poem for photographs:
God Almighty, what many things she can do,
That signora Wassermann.
Govern by telephone
And cater to high society.
Also spread austere virtue
Among the—alas!—now older youth.
Warm temperament and clear mind
Thankfully I extend her my hand.
Well guided by your hand
I trotted bravely through this land.
Who knows what is proper,
To avoid anybody getting
Inside all hearts he sees,
Mr. Professor Nierenstein,
My thanks to his mild soul
May this wise portrait tell him.
This one’s for the panther cat
So furiously slunk away
Into the jungle, cross and wild –
Thus she gets this portrait.
22. Official breakfast for bigwigs, etc., of science and politics. (Gallardo, rector,
deans, diplomats, etc.). In the evening, students, guitar, and song, I at the end with
23. Many little details. Scharf gives me oil painting. Evening