5 7 6 D O C . 3 7 9 T R A V E L D I A R Y immediate reason for the occupation was to secure reparations deliveries of coke and coal from Ger- many. However, the wider context for the troop movement was the collapse of French-German nego- tiations on a reparations schedule, and France’s frustration with its wartime allies regarding support of its positions vis-á-vis Germany (see Fischer 2003, p. 1). The town Al Qantarah El Sharqiyya (Kantara) is in northeastern Egypt on the eastern side of the Suez Canal. At this point, Einstein added “2.” in the right margin to indicate 2 February. The railroad route led from Kantara through the Sinai Peninsula to Rafah, Gaza, and Lod (Lydda). Einstein was greeted at the station in Lod by Menachem Ussishkin (1863–1941), president of the Zionist Executive Ben-Zion Mossinson (1878–1942), member of the General Zionist Council and di- rector of the “Herzliya” Gymnasium Colonel Frederick H. Kisch, director of the Political Depart- ment of the Zionist Executive Jacob Thon, Director of the Palestine Land Development Company David Yellin, president of the Va’ad Leumi, the Jewish National Council Joseph Meyuchas, president of the Council of Jerusalem Jews and Meir Dizengoff, mayor of Tel Aviv. In his diary, Kisch gave the following description of Einstein’s arrival: “At Lydda dashed across the platform to greet Prof. Albert Einstein. Found him rather tired as he had sat up all night, but I learned later that this was his own fault, as he had insisted on travelling second-class in spite of every effort to persuade him to go into a wagon-lit which had been reserved for him” (see Ha’aretz, 4 February 1923, Jüdische Presszen- trale Zürich, 9 February 1923, and Kisch 1938, p. 29). The stations passed on the way from Lod to Jerusalem were Ramleh, Dayr Aban, and Battir. Solomon Ginzberg (1889–1968), inspector of education for the British Mandatory Authority. Einstein had first met Ginzberg during his tour of the United States in 1921, when Ginzberg had served as his secretary (see Einstein to Judah L. Magnes, 18 April 1921 [Vol. 12, Doc. 122]). Einstein was accompanied by Captain L.G.A. Cust (1896–1962), the aide-de-camp of Sir Herbert Samuel, the British high commissioner (see Palestine Weekly , 9 February 1923). The Einsteins lodged at the official residence of the high commissioner, Government House, in the Augusta Viktoria com- plex on the Mount of Olives. Sir Herbert Samuel, 1st Viscount Samuel (1870–1963), British high commissioner for Palestine. Edwin Samuel (1898–1978), member of the headquarters staff of Sir Ronald Storrs, governor of Je- rusalem. Hadassah Samuel-Grasovsky (1897–1986) and David Samuel (*1922). Samuel mentions Einstein’s stay at Government House in his memoir (see Samuel 1945, pp. 174–175). The Old City of Jerusalem. The Dome of the Rock (the Masjid Qubbat As-Sakhrah) on the Temple Mount. The Al-Aqsa Mosque (the Masjid al-Aqsa). The Western Wall (ha-Kotel ha-Ma’aravi). The ramparts of the Old City. Arthur Ruppin (1876–1943) was director of the Palestine Office in Jaffa. The Bukharian quarter was established by Jews from Bukhara in 1891. Hugo Bergmann (1883–1975) was director of the National Jewish Library, which was estab- lished in 1892. Einstein had first met Bergmann during his sojourn in Prague in 1911–1912 (see Berg- man 1974, p. 390). Bergmann had solicited Einstein’s support for the establishment of the Hebrew University in 1919 (see Hugo Bergmann to Einstein, 22 October 1919 [Vol. 9, Doc. 147]). Hadassah Samuel-Grasovsky. Jericho lies approximately 45 kilometers northeast of Jerusalem. Most likely the Allenby Bridge. This is a reference to Sir Wyndham Deeds (1883–1956), chief secretary of the British Manda- tory Authority in Palestine. Einstein visited the garden suburbs of Beth Hakerem in the west of Jerusalem and Talpiot in the south. Einstein visited Beth Hakerem accompanied by Hadassah Samuel, Hannah Ruppin, and Solomon Ginzberg. He toured the new street in the neighborhood, Hechalutz Street. Both neighbor- hoods were established in 1922 according to plans by the prominent German-Jewish architect Richard Kaufmann (1887–1953) (see Ha’aretz and Doar Hayom, 7 February 1923, and Kark and Oren- Nordheim 2001, p. 169).